Items containing mercury like thermometers or old thermostats may be safely disposed of at the Household Hazardous Waste Site.

Mercury is a toxic substance found in multiple household items such as thermometers, thermostats, flourescent lamps and Compact Flourescent Lamps (CFL’s), switches, and other items.

Mercury can case major health issues.  If exposed, mercury may cause burns to the skin, may inhibit brain development in children and can affect the human nervous system, especially in children and pregnant women.

For more information regarding health concerns regarding mercury go to:

Never attempt to clean up a mercury spill.  Contact the Illinois EPA  at 815-987-7760 (Rockford) for safe cleanup instructions.

Last Update:  8/26/20