Clothing and soft goods, regardless of condition, do not need to be discarded in the garbage/landfill!
KNIB will take clean clothing and soft goods. Wearable clothing can be redistributed. Stained or damaged clothing WILL BE ACCEPTED because they can be recycled into things like insulation & carpet padding. That includes items that have rips, tears, stains or broken parts.
Recycling and/or Redistribution:
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful Recycle Centers and Clothing Drives collect all types of soft goods, year-round.
Acceptable items should be clean, but may have rips, tears, stains or broken parts.
- Men’s, women’s, or children’s clothing and outerwear
- Shoes, boots
- Belts, leather accessories
- Purses, briefcases, backpacks
- Stuffed (plush) toys
- Throw rugs (no carpet or padding)
- Soft-sided luggage
Gather your items and drop off during one of our regular collection days or during a Clothing Drive.
More Clothing Donation Sites (for resale or re-distribution)
Examples of other organizations which may accept donations of clothing.
- Goodwill of Northern Illinois
- Rockford Memorial Hospital Thrift Store
- Rockford Rescue Mission Thrift Store (Mission Mart)
- Salvation Army–Rockford
- Salvation Army–Belvidere
- Pregnancy Center
- Religious Organizations (Catholic Charities, Church, Synagogue, Muslim Community Center, etc.)